Tuesday, September 11
Frontenac Secondary School (Music Room), 1789 Bath Road, Kingston
5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Sign-up below
8:30 p.m. Show-up, first come first served
Wednesday, September 12
Regiopolis-Notre Dame High School (Music Room), 130 Russell Street, Kingston
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Sign-up below
7:30 p.m. Show-up, first come first served
Applicants may sign up for a specific audition time (see below) or show up and audition on a first come first served basis (see times above).
Orchestral instruments include: flute/piccolo, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, french horn, trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, tuba, violin, viola, cello, double bass, and percussion
Youth Strings and A-Strings instruments include: violin, viola, and cello
Audition Requirements KYO
Strings: one 2 or 3 octave scale of your choice, one piece of your own choice
Woodwinds: one 2 octave scale of your choice, one piece of your own choice
Brass: one 1 or 2 octave scale of your choice, one piece of your own choice
Percussion: one 2 octave scale on xylophone, loud and soft rolls on snare drum and timpani, piece of own choice (snare, timpani or xylophone. Instruments will be provided)
*Own choice piece can be a section of a solo piece, orchestral excerpt or study (approx. 2 minutes). It should reflect your highest level of playing. Please bring a copy of the music for yourself and the audition panel. No accompanist is required.
Later auditions by appointment and availability by special request
Applicants are accepted into the orchestra based on their performance of their audition. Concert Master and Principal positions are also assigned.
Audition Requirements Youth Strings/A-Strings
One piece of your own choice.
A few notes on audition prep:
1) Students that get help from their private teachers do much better at auditions.
2) Students who listen repeatedly to the piece, with their music in front of them, do much better.
3) Use lots of bow/air and steady bowspeed/airspeed. Good posture helps with this!
4) Tuning is very important.
5) If you can't play something up so speed, better to play 20% (or more) slower, but in a clean and organized fashion - no rushing, and good sound.
6) Make sure your rhythm is solid and count rests and ties properly.
Sign Up for an audition
Please fill out the form below and select your preferred date for auditioning. We will email you with a specific time for that day.